Sunday, July 17, 2022

Famine

 July 17, 2022

“The days are coming,” says the Lord God, “That I will send a famine on the land, Not a famine of bread, nor a thirst for water, but of hearing the words of the LORD.” —Amos 8:11


Today was Beach Birthday for the Bailey clan. There are so many of us that we don’t celebrate individual birthdays; every weekend would be a party! Instead, we lump all the birthdays of a given month together; in July, it’s myself, my daughter-in-law Debbra, and son Matthew. We drive to the Dunkirk beach, set up tables and grills, and…well…we eat. We had a wonderful time together this afternoon, talking and eating. When everyone brings something to the table, there is more food than we can collectively eat. That fact however, doesn’t keep us from trying. It takes real discipline to stop when the stomach is full but the mouth says, “More!”


Today’s meal has been over for about six hours, and right now, I can’t even bear the thought of putting something in my mouth. I think tomorrow needs to be a day of fasting. I’m not hungry now, but I’ve been there; nevertheless, I’ve never experienced a famine, where I am so famished I would crave even a morsel of stale bread. I’ve seen photos of starving children, and they haunt me.


In today’s Scripture lesson, these words from Amos were read, and they set me to thinking. What would a famine of the Word of God look like? Linda and I recently returned from visiting friends in Virginia and North Carolina. I’ve seen it before, but the number of churches down South continues to amaze me. Whether in the city or out in the country in the middle of nowhere, there seems to be a church everywhere you turn. We have plenty of churches here in Western New York, too, but not like there. Add to these churches the sermons and services available online, and we can hear God’s Word anytime we want. We are hardly in a famine of the Word of God.


Or perhaps we are. Most Americans still have some religious history, and most of that is Christian. But most of those who consider themselves Christian aren’t actively pursuing a relationship with Christ. When I drive to church on Sunday mornings, I drive by many more houses where people do not attend anywhere than houses of people who do. 


And we are seeing the results of our drift from faith in increasing crime, increasing confusion in our young adults regarding their sexuality and identity, increasing despair and hopelessness reflected in our drug and suicide epidemics. People are hungry for God’s Word, but don’t know it. They are gorging themselves on this world’s junk food and wondering why they aren’t satisfied. There is a growing famine of the Word of God, and sadly, those of us who have that Word are gorging ourselves on it instead of sharing it with those who are hungry.


We ate well today. Our souls were fed in worship, our bodies were nourished at our gathering. It’s time now to hear the cries of the hungry, and welcome to the Lord’s table all who will come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment