Saturday, July 9, 2022

Filthy Rags

 July 9, 2022

Joshua was clothed with filthy garments, and was standing before the Angel. Then He answered and spoke to those who stood before Him, saying, “Take away the filthy garments from him.” And to him He said, “See, I have removed your iniquity from you, and I will clothe you with rich robes.”” —Zechariah 3:1-4


As Joshua was standing before the Lord in filthy clothes, Satan himself stood up opposing him. Twice God rebuked Satan, then clothed him properly. The Bible says all our righteousness is as filthy rags. When we try to stand before God on our own merits, Satan justly accuses us. But God in his mercy rebukes him and clothes us in the righteousness of Christ. 


It’s always tempting to try to stand before God on our own merits. If we haven’t done anything particularly stupid or sinful for awhile, we begin to imagine we deserve his favor. If things go wrong, we wonder what we did to deserve the problems we face. “Didn’t I do enough?” We usually don’t dare to say it aloud, but we think God owes us. But filthy rags are filthy rags, even if they appear to us to be fancy dress clothes. 


When I’m bad, my only hope is the righteousness of Christ. When I’m good, my only hope is the righteousness of Christ. His righteousness is the only adequate answer to the accusations of Satan. His righteousness is God’s rebuke to him, and God’s salvation to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment