Thursday, March 17, 2022

Wandering at Home

 March 17, 2022

Most people who are in any way associated with Christianity have heard the story of the Prodigal Son. It’s almost a part of American folklore, but is usually misunderstood. We take it as a story of a young man who is joyfully received back home by his father after wasting his life and fortune in dissipation. It’s taken by most people to be an illustration of God’s unconditional love for us, no matter how far we’ve wandered from him.


The story is this, and so much more. In fact, there are two brothers in the story; the one who wandered, and the older brother who stayed home, faithfully taking care of the family business. When his father welcomed the younger brother back home, this faithful son was not at all pleased. “I’ve slaved for you all these years,” he fumed, “and you never threw a party for me!” 


Jesus’ point was clear. This wasn’t a story about a wandering son coming home, but about the elder son who never left home. For every person who has wasted years in profligacy, there are perhaps dozens who have diligently toiled away, doing the right thing. We pat ourselves on the back and believe all is well, but when the wastrel is received, our true colors emerge. We may speak eloquently about God’s grace, but we believe in fairness, getting what is due us. Our relationship to God is based on performance, not love, and this attitude spills over into our relationship with others. 


If I haven’t lived in grace, I will have none to give. If I want to know about my relationship to God, all I have to do is check my attitude towards those who have wandered. Do I, like the father in the story, receive them joyfully, or do I, like the elder brother, impose conditions? My attitude to people reveals the quality of my relationship to God. Not all who wander are lost, and it is quite possible to be lost while never leaving home.


No comments:

Post a Comment