Wednesday, March 2, 2022

Giving Up

March 2, 2022


Ash Wednesday. The beginning of the Christian season of Lent, during which with the lengthening of daylight, we ponder the brevity of life as preparation for Holy Week and Easter. Growing up as I did in an independent Baptist church, we didn’t observe Lent. That was something the Catholics did, but not Baptists. It was only as I slipped my way into Methodism that Lent began taking on significance for me. That’s a story for another time.


The usual Ash Wednesday question asked by those inclined to observe Lent is, “What are you giving up for Lent?” The idea is that we deny ourselves some pleasure so as to help us focus on spiritual matters. Unfortunately, for many, this “giving up” amounts to little more than a minor inconvenience such as giving up chocolate or coffee (I realize that for some, such a sacrifice is not a minor inconvenience, but neither is it a major intrusion into our lives).


This year, I’ve decided to give up three “S’s:” Sweets, Snacks, and Seconds (as in second helpings at the table). My wife suggested another “S” for the list, which puzzles me, as I haven’t played the saxophone in years. I think she was just being funny, but you never know. 


Giving up something can only get you so far in life, so in light of the national and international mess we are in, I think instead of merely subtracting from my life, it would be appropriate to add something, so here is the “S” I’m adding: Supplication. As in prayers for others. Don’t get me wrong; I pray for others all the time, but I think it’s time to get really serious about it; to spend significant time and effort praying for our world, holding before the Lord Almighty the brokenness we are seeing all around us. 


I live in a pleasant area of the world, surrounded by beautiful country, living amongst wonderful family, friends, and neighbors. Gunfire doesn’t lull me to sleep at night, we don’t experience major flooding, wildfires, hurricanes, or earthquakes. I am insulated from most of the tragedy that defines so many people’s lives. Most of these matters I am powerless to influence, but I can bang on the gates of heaven. It’s time for me to do so a bit more insistently. I’ve already begun, and hope I’m not alone in this endeavor. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment