Saturday, October 2, 2021

Silence

 October 3, 2021

Do you know how hard it is to be silent? My wife might think I’m aiming this question at her, but actually it’s my own dilemma. Silence is not merely a matter of not speaking. real silence is when I can shut down all the voices and thoughts that keep racing through my head. I’ve been working hard at meditating on God’s Word, but find that my mind so easily slips back into rehashing whatever issue irritates or worries me at the moment. Just about the time I get things under control, a different issue pops into my head, and away go my thoughts. No wonder St. Paul told the Corinthian Christians they needed to “take captive every thought to Christ.” It often feels like I’m herding kittens.


Today I was determined to silence all the noise inside my head. Let me tell you, it has been a major struggle that I lost more than won. It began with this morning’s reading from Psalm 62. Twice David wrote, “My soul silently waits for God.” I don’t think he was speaking about not praying audibly, but rather this inner silence that would enable him to hear from God. I wonder if the busyness of my life sometimes is my soul’s attempt to drown out what it needs to, but doesn’t want to hear from God. All the technology, all the busyness and activity can be good, but it can also be a way of avoiding an encounter with a holy God who knows me and wants me to know myself. Tonight, I’m going to slow down and do my best to silence the noise so I can hear the still, small voice of the Holy Spirit.


No comments:

Post a Comment