Thursday, October 14, 2021

Peeping and Muttering

 October 14, 2021

“And when they say to you, “Seek those who are mediums and wizards, who peep and mutter,” should not a people seek their God? Should they seek the dead on behalf of the living? To the law and to the testimony! If they do not speak according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.” —Isaiah 8:19-20 


This text, along with many others in the Mosaic Law, are clear instruction from the Lord regarding the occult: we are to have nothing to do with it; instead, we are to seek guidance from the Lord himself rather than the stars, crystals, palm reading, and seances. The Lord alone knows the future; all others are imposters, and according to the Scriptures, demonic. Christians who participate in such matters are in clear disobedience, and in danger of opening themselves up to demonic oppression.


If these words seem harsh and unforgiving, they are meant to. The Bible is not vague or vacillating on the matter. As Isaiah said, “Should they seek the dead on behalf of the living? To the law and to the testimony! If they do not speak according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.” It’s hard to find more clear and precise condemnation of anything than this.


Lately though, I’ve been seeing these words in a somewhat different light. God has been convicting me of the amount of time I put into reading the news. I don’t like video feeds; they take too much time. Many of the presenters seem to be preening for the camera. I guess I’m old school with my preference for the written word. 


Nevertheless, even with the written word, I’ve fallen into the habit of clearing my phone of emails first thing in the morning. Many of these are news feeds that can catch my attention and get my mind to ruminating. Notice the order of things: “first thing in the morning.” Here’s what I’ve learned: a correct perspective on life will never come from an incorrect ordering of life. Hear that again: a correct perspective on life will never come from an incorrect ordering of life. If I begin the day with the news (which is inevitably bad), it will color the entire day. The enemy will only be put in his proper place if I position myself in my proper place at the feet of Jesus.


The news, whether written or recorded, is like those mediums who peep and mutter, offering their distorted and corrupted perspective on what is happening in the world, and much like the occult masters of Isaiah’s day, they have their own agenda, seeking to influence and manipulate to their own advantage. Only the Word of God seeks transformation for my own good as well as for the good of the world. God has no need nor desire to manipulate us, because he has nothing to gain except our love. So…Scripture first!


No comments:

Post a Comment