Wednesday, October 20, 2021

God’s Mirror

 October 19, 2021

Sometimes when I meet with other pastors, I get irritated. Linda says I’m just an old grouch, and I suppose she’s right, but back to my story. Pastors can on occasion, pontificate in a way that to me, seems somewhat arrogant. I don’t believe they intend to do so, but it’s the way I sometimes see things. In other words, it’s my problem, not theirs. When that last happened, I texted Linda in the middle of the prayer time, telling her, “so far, it’s meeting my (low) expectations.” Not very spiritual, I’m afraid.


Linda texted back, “Jim Bailey, you pray for them!!! And for yourself.” She was right, so I did. Almost immediately, God gave me an answer for the issue the leader had presented. I had been judging this pastor instead of praying for him, and in so doing, was in the wrong far more than he might have been, and was unable to be the avenue for God’s Word that I needed to be.


We tend to use Scripture to illumine other peoples’ sins, but God intends us to use it as a mirror, reflecting back to us how we look to him. I can be completely correct in my evaluation of someone else while being completely wrong in my heart attitude. I’m not sure my evaluation of my brother was correct, but I know my heart was not. Fortunately, I have a godly wife who isn’t afraid to confront me with my own issues. I shouldn’t be surprised; when God speaks to me, it often sounds like it’s coming from Linda’s mouth.


No comments:

Post a Comment