Friday, October 1, 2021

Meditation

 October 1, 2021

“Sorry, there’s no visitors.” The lady behind the mask was apologetic, but adamant. It wasn’t her fault; she was just following orders from above…all the way to the governor, president, and all the bureaucracy behind them. I walked out saddened that I couldn’t visit and pray with someone I’ve grown to love. It seems that our culture no longer acknowledges the soul, only the bodies. Our funeral director cares for bodies too, but also for the souls of those grieving. We are living in dangerous times when a person’s life can be compartmentalized till there’s nothing left worth keeping the body alive. 


With this little tale, my dilemma begins. This morning’s reading was from the first psalm. Let the words that challenged me challenge you, too: 


“Blessed is the man 

Who walks not in the counsel of the ungodly, 

Nor stands in the path of sinners, 

Nor sits in the seat of the scornful; 

But his delight is in the law of the Lord, 

And in His law he meditates day and night. 

He shall be like a tree 

Planted by the rivers of water, 

That brings forth its fruit in its season, 

Whose leaf also shall not wither; 

And whatever he does shall prosper.”

Psalm 1:1-3


Upon reading this today, I determined in my heart that this is the kind of man I want to be—planted by rivers of water, fruitful, strong even in the drought of life. Being that kind of man doesn’t happen automatically or easily; delighting in God’s law and meditating on it day and night is the price we pay for the strength and character we desire. “Meditate”—the word is descriptive of a cow chewing its cud, getting every bit of nutrient the hay has to offer. Cows are in no hurry to do this; they eat and drink, and spend a great deal of time just laying around and chewing. If there were such a thing as bovine time management experts, I suspect most cows would fail utterly. I was going to say “underly,” but this is where they actually succeed. All that unproductive time is the source of their gift to us. 


I had determined to meditate on the Word of God this morning, but when confronted with another example of the absurdity of modern life, found myself chewing the cud of my disappointment, regurgitating the resentments, and rehearsing the reasons I am so suspect of so much of what is going on in our society. Instead of sending my roots deep into the solid ground of salvation and drinking deeply from the well of the One who is the Living Water, I was grinding away at that which only serves to bring distress to my soul.


So tonight I confess my failure and sin. My meditation on the Word faltered when I started rehearsing in my mind the grumblings of my old self. I am thankful that God doesn’t give up on me and the Holy Spirit brought to mind what I was doing and convicted me of my need (again) for grace and forgiveness. So, before I lay my head on my pillow tonight, it’s time for a reset. I cannot change what the government does, but I can change how I respond to it. tonight I choose to meditate upon the Word and respond with praise to my God who is greater and more grace-giving than any governor or government. 


No comments:

Post a Comment