Sunday, March 28, 2021

Worshipping Together

 March 28, 2021

I don’t understand Christians who choose to stay home from worship. I don’t say this as a criticism or condemnation; I just don’t understand the mindset that it’s OK to watch a worship service on TV or the internet when in-person worship is available. Last Sunday, Linda and I had to worship from home due to COVID quarantine. It was OK, but it wasn’t the same. 


Hebrews 10:25 tells us to “not forsake the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching.” When I stay home, I can be encouraged by the music and preaching, but I can’t encourage anyone else. Actually attending worship is a physical act that reminds me that it’s not about me. I mean no disrespect of our pastor and worship team, but most of us can hear better preaching from the masters of the art with national and international ministries. Most of them have highly trained musicians, with everything being choreographed and fine tuned in a way most of us cannot do. 


But no matter how slick and packaged the program, it’s not as good as being present with an ordinary congregation where you are known and loved, where your presence is important to someone else. Today I was able to lift my voice and hands in praise, to add my Amen to the preaching, and to speak to different brothers and sisters, some of whom are going through deep waters, and others for whom a smile and kind word may have helped them take the next step in life. I was able to request prayer for one of our pastors fighting for his life, battling COVID in a Cuban hospital. Being together this morning not only blessed me, but hopefully encouraged others, and added an entire congregation’s prayers for a brother in need. None of that would have happened had we stayed home. Worshipping together is wonderful! I am so thankful for this morning; for the hard work of all who made it possible. You blessed me; I hope my presence blessed you as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment