Monday, March 29, 2021

According to

 March 29, 2021

“According to” is an interesting and significant phrase in St. Paul’s writings. In the first chapter of his letter to the Ephesian Christians, these words pop up five times in the space of a mere six verses, where he speaks of God working “according to” the good pleasure of his will, “according to” the riches of his grace, etc. The phrase is perhaps most notably found in Philippians 4:19, where Paul states that “My God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.” 


Paul could have stated his case differently. He could have said that God will supply our need “out of” his riches in Christ Jesus, which are immeasurable, but he used this different wording. Why? 


If I had a million dollars and decided to give some of it away, there would be a great difference between giving out of that million and giving according to it. I could perhaps be considered quite generous if I gave ten thousand away, or even fifty thousand, but in doing so, I wouldn’t be giving according to my riches. I would be giving out of them. Fifty thousand isn’t even a tithe of the million. Giving according to my million dollars would require me to be far more generous, giving say half or more of it away. 


God

No comments:

Post a Comment