Friday, February 12, 2021

Words and Deeds

 February 12, 2021

We “were alienated in [our] minds by wicked works” (Colossians 1:21). We are conditioned to think that we need to watch our thoughts because they lead to actions. It’s true enough... sometimes. Around our house, we have what we call “stinkin’ thinkin’.” We are ruthless in calling out negative and destructive thought patterns because it is so easy to think our way into a funk. It’s particularly insidious in today’s toxic political climate. Even as Christians, we are susceptible to the negativity that is part of the air we breathe. I see what’s happening in our country and have to deliberately and decisively corral my thinking so it doesn’t poison my attitude and ruin my day. It’s particularly difficult when in conversation. People seem to need to vent their feelings frequently, and it’s hard to not get sucked into the negativity.


But there is another side to this that we often overlook. Not only do our thoughts affect our actions, but perhaps even more, what we do affects how we think. Because God has put a conscience within us (Romans 1:18), when we sin, we need to find a way to justify our actions, so our reasoning gets twisted. The logic of anyone who persists in sin will always be defective. Debating anyone whose behavior is contrary to the Gospel is fruitless. Trying to reason with those whose sexual lives are contrary to the Word of God will never succeed because their sin corrupts their minds. We would do well to pay attention to someone’s behavior before engaging in debate. If the behavior is sinful, no amount of reasoning will help. Instead of arguing, the only thing to do is to give Scripture and pray for the Holy Spirit to bring conviction and repentance. God promises to honor his Word (Isaiah 55:11). The Word of God is the sword of the Spirit. It needs no defense; in fact, it is the only offensive weapon we have. 


I’ve found that as much as I need to guard my thoughts, I need also to guard my actions. I don’t want bad habits to subtly infect my thinking and carry me away from Christ. Taking inventory of the things I’ve done through the day is a good way of keeping my feet on the narrow path of which Jesus speaks in Matthew 7. I am thankful tonight for the specificity of Paul’s writing; the detail that makes me pay attention and listen to the Holy Spirit. 


No comments:

Post a Comment