Saturday, February 27, 2021

Fearing God

 February 27, 2021

“The LORD of hosts (armies), him you shall hallow; let him be your fear. Let him be your dread.” —Isaiah 8:13. 


A lifetime ago when I was a candidate for ordination, the interview team of the Board of Ordained Ministry was critiquing the theological paper I had submitted in which I spoke of my “fear of the Lord.” This phrase caught the attention of the interviewers, one of whom tried to explain to the others that I was speaking of having a healthy respect for God. I broke in.


“That’s not it at all. What I meant was, literally having a shaking-in-your-boots fear, knowing you are in the presence and hands of a holy and almighty God who could snuff you out in the blink of an eye.” The room was suddenly strangely silent. 


As my interview concluded, one of the interviewers commented that I seemed unusually calm during the process, and asked why that was. “I know God has called me into ministry,” I responded. “I just don’t know where. You know Methodism; I don’t (I came in as a Baptist). It’s your job to decide whether or not I fit. If I don’t, I’ll just go somewhere else.” Apparently my theological aberration in this regard wasn’t enough for them to give me the boot, for here I am, fifty years later, still (often uncomfortably) a United Methodist.


This text from Isaiah still challenges me. We don’t hear much talk about the fear of the Lord, unless it is to water it down into a mushy, toothless “respect.” But Isaiah doesn’t allow such thinking. He had had a vision of the LORD, high and lifted up, which caused him to say, “Woe is me! For I have seen the LORD.” He knew he was in dangerous territory. So two chapters later when he tells us to hallow the Lord of hosts and to let Him be our fear and dread,” he is speaking of more than giving a nodding affirmation of an abstract theological principal. 


If my fear of the Lord is not greater than my fear of anything in this world, it means I am worshipping at the wrong altar, and am able to be dislodged from my position in Christ. I’ve often said that I don’t worry for me; after all, my life is mostly behind me. I have also said that I fear for my children and grandchildren, but this too, is wrong. These children and grandchildren were born with God’s purpose etched into their souls. He knew them from the womb; they were born for such a time as this. It is into this world at this time and place where they will find their calling and fulfillment in Christ. That they are here is no accident.


When the LORD asked, “Who will go for us,” Isaiah responded, “Here am I. Send me.” (6:8). Two chapters later, he intensifies that affirmation, saying, “Here am I, and the children the LORD has given me. We are for signs and wonders...from the LORD of hosts.” (8:18). I cannot claim to be available to God if I will not bring my family with me. In calling me, he has also called them, and together we will stand, surrounded by the heavenly armies of which the LORD is the commander. As Jesus said to Satan during his temptation, “Fear God and him alone shall you serve.” Yes, we will...with confidence and joy, even if we have to stand alone (8:11).


No comments:

Post a Comment