Sunday, February 14, 2021

Valentine Wisdom

February 14, 2021


“You can’t be serious!” The look on my daughter’s face said it all. My valentine’s gift to Linda was, to be sure, a bit unusual, but I know my wife, and told Jess she would be delighted with it. 


I was not mistaken. Last night as she was getting her shower, I snuck out to the garage, retrieved her gift, and set it in the spare bedroom. Early this morning, having to leave early for worship team rehearsal, I set it in the kitchen, and before heading out the door, called her out to see it.


“I LOVE it!” she squealed when she saw it. Do I know my wife, or what? There is however, a backstory to this tale of love. It involves mice. Three of them, to be exact. They all still have their tails, so you know I’m not a farmer. A few days ago, unbeknownst to Linda, they had taken up residence in the plastic bin holding the sunflower seeds for our neighborly and piggy feathered friends. In the dark, she didn’t see them till they tumbled out of the scoop into the bird feeder. They made their presence known, and she made their presence known to me. Having chewed the lid of the bin, access to the seed was quite convenient and much appreciated, but unlike the chickadees, cardinals, and finches, their freeloading days are over.


Flowers and candy are for amateurs. Tonight, I am by all measures, the world’s best septuagenarian valentine, and am proud to display for all to see, the evidence of my love for my best and only love 

No comments:

Post a Comment