Sunday, February 7, 2021

Setting the Table

 February 7, 2021

“So shall my word be that goes forth from my mouth; it shall not return to me void, but it shall accomplish what I please, and it shall prosper in the thing for which I sent it” (Isaiah 55:11). If there is any comfort and encouragement for the preacher, it is this. God’s Word will accomplish what he intends. Sometimes the spoken word has a power that is evident to all who hear; at other times, it seems like it leaves the mouth flat and goes downhill from there. If I do the work and give it my best, God promises to accomplish not what I intend, but what he intends. 


More than forty years ago, I sat through the only preaching course I was to take in seminary. Most of my seminary experience was less than memorable, but this class was worth the price of the admission. One of the things we learned was that any given sermon is a feeding; sitting at the table of the Word. Just as in the physical realm, we cannot ingest all our nourishment in a single setting; we must return to the table again and again. “Don’t try to give them everything you’ve got at a single setting. They’ll be back. Give them the spiritual meal they need for the day. Save the rest for next time. We grow a meal at a time.”


This morning, I set the table as best I could, and invited the congregation to feast upon the goodness of God. Together, we then shared the meal Christ set before us at the Communion Table. We sang, prayed, received, then prayed and sang some more. As at any meal, it’s possible that some didn’t like the peas or carrots, and passed on them. Others filled their plates. It isn’t the job of the chef or the waiter to make sure everyone fills up and then cleans up their plate. It’s our job to set the table. It’s now in the hands of God who knows our hearts and ensures the success of the Word he has spoken.


No comments:

Post a Comment