Saturday, February 23, 2019

Two-thirds

February 23, 2019

More than two-thirds of our birthdays we have celebrated together. Today is Linda’s, and I wasn’t sure how to make it special for her, other than her favorite breakfast in bed and a couple small gifts she had mentioned some time ago. Not being what you would call a world traveler, I didn’t think she’d want to go anywhere, so I hadn’t planned anything. Little Nathan’s basketball game in the morning, and a church spaghetti dinner in the evening looked to be the bookend highlights of her day when she said she’d like to go to Erie to try to spend the Christmas and birthday money my mother had sent to her. So off to Erie we went.

As we exited the interstate onto Peach Street, she said she’d like something light to eat, something that wouldn’t spoil her appetite for the spaghetti dinner we expected in the evening. “Tim Horton’s would be nice, but I don’t think they have them down here.” I assured her there was a Tim’s, but unconvinced, she decided to settle on Kristy Kreme, a place we hadn’t patronized in years. It was OK; not quite what she had wanted, but oh well. We pulled back onto Peach Street, drove one block before passing a Tim Hortons. If this was a portent of things to come, it didn’t look good. On to the mall.

A couple hours walking through the Millcreek Mall produced nothing more than a small cosmetic purchase, and I was beginning to think the entire afternoon would be a bust. Did you know malls only cater to people in their twenties? So we went to the Dress Barn. I knew this place had possibilities when I saw on the walls the larger than life sized photos of models who were of a bit more vintage than those in the mall. We hit the mother lode, were on our way out of the store with a few choice items when I spotted a nice skirt and blouse. “I have enough,” she said, but didn’t argue too vehemently when I insisted. 


It was a very good day, topped off with the spaghetti dinner with friends. Two thirds of our lives together, and we aren’t just marking time, barely getting along. It’s better now than ever, and I am thankful tonight for this woman God gave me nearly fifty years ago, who has made my life so much better than I could have ever managed on my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment