Monday, February 4, 2019

First Ride

February 4, 2019

“You know it’s been cold when 17 degrees feels like a heat wave.” So said my friend Chuck last weekend when the highs over the previous days had only tickled the thermometer at zero. It had been bitterly cold, ameliorated only by the agency of the wood stove. It was a good week to hunker down.

After work today I made a phone call. The young man on the other end of the line assured me it would be no problem, so as soon as I got home, I told Linda I was going out, suited up, and fired up the bike. Since I hadn’t put the battery on trickle charge, I had to kick start it, but it only took a couple tries before the bike roared to life. 

The ride to the dealer for the inspection that was long overdue was absolutely glorious! Mid- fifties, sunny, and mostly dry roads made for a pleasant run that made the young man at the service desk jealous. He was stuck behind the counter while I was free to ride. My original intent was to get the bike inspected and replace the scratched up visor for my helmet. I did the former, but came out of the shop with a brand new helmet. So much for thrift! Rule of thumb is that helmets should be replaced every 3-5 years (probably a myth promoted by the helmet companies), so I was due. 

I remarked to the young man behind the counter about how only a few years ago I wouldn’t have been able to make such a spur of the moment purchase, which led to a conversation about finances. He talked of his little girl and how he wished he could buy her the things she wanted. One time when they went to a store, he told her she could get a toy, to which she responded, “Do you have enough money?” I shared some of my story with him, of the days when it was a special evening out when we took our then preschool boys to the Toys R Us to walk the aisles and play with whatever was there before going home again empty-handed. I told him of our eldest son’s high school graduation when I was apologizing to him for not being able to give him fancy and expensive gifts like some of his friends were receiving. Nate slammed his fist down on the table and fairly shouted, “I KNEW you’d say that! With what we have as a family, I wouldn’t trade places for anything!” 


The young man told me he knew he needed to get ahold of his spending patterns, to which I assured him that if he did, things could someday be different. I wasn’t able to move the conversation more towards faith in Christ, but I do plan on going back. I missed an opportunity to bless him with a gift for his daughter that may open the door to talking about the difference Jesus Christ can make for him and his family. I’ll be back in town tomorrow, and tonight am thankful for the door that appears to be opening...all because I bought a helmet. Might be the best investment I’ve made in quite awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment