Thursday, February 28, 2019

Friends for Life

February 28, 2019

Friendships that endure for nearly forty years are a pretty rare phenomenon. First, you have to live long enough; a lot of people don’t get that privilege. It helps if you have similar interests, even more if spouses get along. Proximity is good, too. Long-distance friendships are possible, but distance hinders the formation of lasting bonds. Most of life involves little, day by day events that are difficult to share over the miles, but are the common glue that holds people together. Americans, who love their mobility, to their great loss sacrifice for it these long term friendships. For me, a common commitment to Jesus Christ makes the friendship even closer.


I have friendships that span thousands of miles, but they aren’t really tight. But this morning, I had the privilege of spending time with two friends I’ve known for nearly forty years. Before fixing breakfast for the kids who show up at the church before school, we prayed together as we have been doing weekly for nearly two years. Prior to that, we’ve stood shoulder to shoulder through good times and bad, and forged a bond that is both strong and precious. Most pastors never get this opportunity. I have, and am thankful tonight for my friends Harry and Paul. They encourage me to be my best self by being their best selves.

No comments:

Post a Comment