Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Ages

February 26, 2019

Snow devils twirl over the ground, miniature tornadoes dancing freely across the field. The cold is not quite as biting as it was Sunday when the wind shrieked its way through the air driving the cold right through to the bone. It’s almost 6 o’clock and the sun is still high on the horizon, peeking from behind a cloud, its rays stabbing through the sky like daggers in the air. It will be another 20 minutes before the darkness wraps its cold fingers around all I can now see. The ice breaking up on the lake shore moans as if in labor straining to bring forth the new life of a spring not quite ready to be born. Spring, like the setting sun, remains on the horizon.

It’s been an easy winter so far. I remember years when the first snow fell in October and the last didn’t leave till April. Those were halcyon days for skiers and snowmobilers. I wouldn’t want to make my living selling those machines today. No matter how mild the winters are, we are usually eager for spring to arrive. I figure winter’s back has been broken when we say goodbye to February. We’re not quite there yet, but almost. 

I visited mom and Abi today, along with my brother and sister in law. Mom is 96, Abi 19. Russ and Judy are roughly my vintage, all of which makes for interesting contrast. One at the tail end of her earthly sojourn looking back, another just starting out and reaching optimistically for the future, and the rest of us tentatively feeling our way into old age, wondering what it brings as we remember times when all things physical were a bit easier. I have been blessed by not having been left with a lot of baggage from a dysfunctional family. Like any family, we have our issues, but they’ve been pretty minor; no unfaithfulness, divorce, or addictions. I trust we haven’t excessively burdened our kids and grandkids, leaving them free to grow in grace and love as God intends. 


The sun took awhile to set. Maybe we’ll be given a long sunset, too. If so, I hope whatever rays of light I have left will bring joy and hope to those who watch. That would make me very thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment