Sunday, December 16, 2018

Todd

December 16, 2018

His prayer was heartfelt, spontaneous, and eloquent. Such prayers spring from the soil of devotion, hours invested in prayer and study of the Scriptures, of worship in solitude and in the congregation. I wish I could remember the details, but what I do recall is a blessing not only for the things of this world, but even more for her to grow in grace, love, and faith in Jesus Christ. Words directed to our Heavenly Father we overheard as he blessed his daughter for her birthday.

Tonight I am thankful for my son in law who held our littlest granddaughter in his arms as he held her before God in prayer. That prayer was the fruit of many prayers offered in the quiet of his own devotion, and but a part of the faith to which he bears witness to his family and to the world every day in word and deed. Eighteen years ago I entrusted my only daughter into his care, knowing he could never love her as I do, but knowing also that his love was what she longed for and needed. That love and faith has remained and grown stronger and deeper in the ensuing years. As with any love, it has met challenges and trials, but has emerged shining like diamonds sparkling in the sun. 


Linda and I are the recipients of blessings far beyond our deserving, with children and their spouses who are raising our grandchildren to acknowledge and love the Lord Jesus Christ, a blessing many grandparents do not have the privilege of knowing. Tonight, it is Todd whose prayer commands my admiration and respect because it reflects a heart given to Christ and a life offered to his family, and God himself who owns my praise and gratitude for his work of grace in Todd’s life which blesses my daughter, our grandchildren, and us.

No comments:

Post a Comment