Monday, December 31, 2018

2019

December 31, 2018

Sometimes the thoughts just don’t come on demand. I wish I had something wise and wonderful to say, but my mind is a blank. As 2018 closes, I can say one thing with certainty—God has blessed, and continues to bless me far more than I deserve. Grace surrounds me, before me, beside me, behind me. I said ‘yes’ to a second year pastoring in Dunkirk, and have received far more than I gave. We were able to add the downstairs bedroom that we trust will serve us well when climbing the stairs becomes a challenge. Another mission trip to Cuba, a second granddaughter in college, and family that continues to fill our time and our hearts. 

Counting one’s blessings is far more satisfying than recounting one’s ills and gripes. I saw a cartoon recently of someone on their knees with a trowel and a packet of seeds. When asked what the new year would bring, he responded. “Flowers.” 

“How do you know that?” 

“Because I’m planting flowers.” 


I don’t know all that 2019 will bring. Listening to the pundits and media, I would believe it will be nothing but trouble. It’s possible, but politicians and media people thrive on bad news. It’s their bread and butter. Without it, they would be out of work. So I’m going to take much of what they say with a grain of salt. It’s biased, leaning heavily towards trouble and tragedy. Instead, I plan to face tomorrow with confidence and faith that the God who created us and the Christ who redeemed us will, by the power of the Holy Spirit, sustain us. And for that, I already give thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment