Monday, July 2, 2018

Orange Sky

July 2, 2018

The rolling cannonade rumbled through the air with a violence that I felt as much as heard. Punctuated by streaks of blazing light that split the deep grey of the clouds that scudded across the sky and pierced the thunder with explosions of sheer auditory majesty, the storm suddenly burst upon us in fury. It didn’t last long, and so it was necessary for me to transport our grandson to his baseball scrimmage. It took a bit of maneuvering to do so. 

His mother is in Syracuse, his father had to make his jiu-jitsu class, Linda had to count the offering at the church, so I got tapped for the transportational honors. It looked to be a bit dicey, since I had loaned my truck to our other son while his was getting a new alternator. Sidecar bike, it is! Not that Nathan minds. Riding in the sidecar is a badge of honor for the kids, unlike my wife who detests the thought. I was sure however, that with the clouds lowering ahead of us, that we would certainly get soaked.

We didn’t. And now, a couple hours later, the sky has a strange orange glow, and there is an eerie stillness in the air. The Scriptures state that, 
“The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament shows his handiwork.
Day unto day utters speech, and night unto night shows knowledge.
There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard.
When I consider your heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars, which you have ordained;
What is man, that you are mindful of him? and the son of man, that you visit him?
O LORD our Lord, how excellent is your name in all the earth!” (from Psalms 19 & 8).


The rapidly changing clouds testify; I am listening, and am humbled by their majesty.

No comments:

Post a Comment