Saturday, July 21, 2018

Claiming Faith

July 21, 2018

The time comes when the childhood faith that’s been handed down to you through parents and Sunday School has to step aside for the emerging adult faith that we need to carry us through life. It happens at different times and in different ways, but happen it must, if faith is not to be abandoned as a relic of days existing only in memory. I’ve had the distinct pleasure of watching this happen in my own children, and now seeing it unfold in theirs. This morning I sat with grandson Ian in our entryway, talking about nothing in particular, when I asked him how his summer camp experience affected him. I’m not good at remembering specific dialogue, but the gist of it was that the chapel speaker challenged the kids to follow Christ in a way that grabbed Ian’s attention. 


When I asked if he would ever want to be a camp counselor, he didn’t hesitate. He’s already been thinking about it. I recalled to him how at his age I was a counselor in training, and spent summers at various camps working with kids. That eventually led to Houghton College, to a student pastorate and seminary, and a lifetime of pastoring. I don’t know where Ian’s faith and commitment will lead him, but I know who’s doing the leading, and it is exciting to be watching and praying.

No comments:

Post a Comment