Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Trouble from God

November 29, 2017

Sometimes I wonder what I’m doing wrong. Anyone who knows anything about me might think I’m crazy to ask this question. I am not suffering from a serious illness like many of my friends; my marriage is happy and almost totally stress-free; my children are doing well, serving Christ and raising their children; we have a roof over our heads and food on our table. I know people who would love to trade places with me, but I still wonder what I’m doing wrong. 

There is no shortage of preachers who declare with absolute certainty that the signs of God’s blessing are health, wealth, and everything turning up roses. So, how do they explain the tragedies that befall faithful people? I have many friends who love Jesus as much as I do, who are enduring all sorts of trials. Has God abandoned them? Is he punishing them? Or are they experiencing Satanic attack? I’ve heard preachers explain evil in all these ways and more, but I’m not convinced. Scripture bears witness to God using difficulties and troubles to mold and shape us into the image of his Son, even to the point of actively opposing his own people. 

Lamentations 3:43 is but one example of this: “You have covered with anger and persecuted us. You have slain; you have not pitied.” This is said to be God’s Doing; there is no intermediate like Satan to dull the edge of these words. Granted, this is a response to Israel’s faithlessness, but the language is no less startling for it. St. Paul quotes Psalm 44:22 when he says, “For your sake we are killed all the day long...” (Romans 8:36).


I am no masochist. I enjoy comfort as much as anyone else. I don’t go around looking for trouble, nor do I tempt fate. But I know many of Christ’s choice followers who are troubled by the trials they are facing. They wonder if their difficulties are God telling them they’re doing something wrong. That is always a possibility, but I tend to think that it’s when things are going too well that I should be nervous. Hebrews 12:6 tells us that God chastens those he loves. He sometimes uses our troubles to grab our attention so as to correct us. But he also uses them to grab our attention so that we may draw near. I am thankful tonight for my many faithful friends who are stars shining brightly as they are enduring trials that would bring lesser persons down. God is putting them through the fire, and when they come out the other side, their radiance will cause the rest of us to lower our eyes in humility.

No comments:

Post a Comment