Thursday, November 2, 2017

A Single Mind

November 2,  2017

Ron Carter is perhaps the premier jazz bassist in the world, with over 2,000 recordings to his credit. He secured his fame playing with the Miles Davis Quintet in the 60’s, and at the age of 80 is on the faculty of the famed Juilliard School of Music. A few years ago, in a master class at Loyola University he demonstrated his craft and then talked about it. At one point he was asked if he ever wanted to play another instrument. He responded that he would like to know how to play guitar, but couldn’t afford to spend the time on it. “I don’t want to be a Jack of all Trades; I just want to be a decent bass player.” This, from a man who has devoted his life to the instrument, and who could play circles around most who have picked up the instrument.

One of the things that distinguishes a true master from the rest of us is singleminded devotion. Most of us are content to be that Jack of all Trades, dabbling a bit in this and a bit in that. We seek balance in life, whereas those who rise to a more stratified level of performance are usually a bit unbalanced. They have to be in order to attain the perfection they seek. St. Paul once said that there was “one thing I do…I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus” (Philippians 3:13-14). That one thing encompassed a lot of detail, but it gave a focus to his life that most of us never attain in our desire to not appear too radical or unbalanced.

One of the most difficult challenges I face is saying “no.” There are so many things that interest me that I want to try them all. Deliberately setting some things aside so as to devote myself to what I believe to be important is not easy. But it is necessary. In the band, I play two instruments badly. If I want to be even reasonably proficient, I’m going to have to choose between them. The same goes for life, especially life with God. Allowing lesser things to capture my time and attention will by necessity limit what I say is most important. If a relationship with Christ is as important as I say it is, it will be reflected in how I choose to spend my time. I can spend my time with social media or with God in prayer, Bible study, and reflection. I can invest time in purely selfish pursuits or give myself to serving others. But there is no way I can possibly do it all. Tonight I am grateful for a jazz bassist who taught me not just about music, but also about life.




No comments:

Post a Comment