Thursday, November 23, 2017

Mom

November 23, 2017

This could very well be the last one. Linda and I spent Thanksgiving morning on the road, driving to Rochester to see mom. She’s in rehab after breaking her wrist in a fall a couple weeks ago, and even though she seems to be doing well, at her age (95), anything could happen. She has a persistent cough, and although I’m no medical expert, I’ve been around long enough to know that her congestive heart failure could very well present problems with her recovery.

Our visit was filled with laughter and tears, and lots of love. Before we left, my niece Heather, her husband Brett, and their three children popped in to see mom. They live out of state, so it was a special treat for them and us. We left them with mom to have some of their own time with her, and then headed to my brother’s for Thanksgiving dinner with them and assorted nieces and nephews and attached children.

I am thankful tonight for all the Thanksgivings, Christmases, and birthdays I’ve had with mom. True, I haven’t always actually been able to spend them with her; when Linda and I married, we suddenly had to juggle our holidays between two families who lived 2-3 hours apart. But we’ve been given more than most, and now that those special times are likely drawing to a close, each moment we have takes on new significance. They are holy moments, filled with grace. The Bible often tells us to remember what God has done. One of those things is a family that gave me a head start in life. Having had those conversations with mom, I know it wasn’t always easy for them to provide for us, to love each other, to put up with family idiosyncrasies, but they did it, for over sixty years, giving us an example of faith and faithfulness that stood the test of time.

Mom is not only ready, but eager to leave this world to meet her Savior, Jesus Christ. If she had her way, she would be celebrating Christmas in heaven. None of us are eager for that day to come, but we can’t fault her for her desire. When it comes, we will share our memories, weep, and laugh, and release her to God. And we will give thanks.


No comments:

Post a Comment