Sunday, December 4, 2016

Advent Stories

December 4, 2016

How do they do it? I've asked myself that question more times than I can remember. I belong to a writer's group that meets every Friday morning. Many of those who gather there are published authors, having written novels and story books. I write short articles, reflections on life, things that have gotten my attention. But full length books? Where does anyone get the ideas for such things? My creative juices don't flow in that direction.

But every Advent for the past few years, I've tried to come up with a short story that I give to Linda. When she reads novels, she usually reads the last chapter first so she knows how it ends. She can't do that with my stories, because I give them to her in installments. I don't even know for sure how they will end till I get there myself. A couple of these stories have actually had a decent plot, but most of them qualify for the term, 'drivel.' And they are still short stories, not full length novels. I don't think I have the patience for one of them.

I got the idea for this year's story from a Sunday School lesson taught by our son. The story actually has little to do with the lesson he gave, except for the text's mention of the children whose angels behold the face of the Father in heaven. It's been fun writing, and I'm grateful for at least a tiny bit of creativity and the opportunity to write it. Nothing earth-shattering or even slightly important, but still something for which I can give thanks tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment