Friday, July 1, 2016

Get 'R Done


June 30, 2016

Sometimes I almost feel guilty over the life I've been given. For more than forty years I worked hard, always feeling the pressure of the coming Sunday, knowing there was always more that could be done than there was time to do it. My first Sunday of retirement, I literally felt the weight of responsibility lift from my body. Today began with a cup of coffee and my Bible, sitting in the entry room soaking up the early morning sunlight. Soon Linda joined me; we read and talked, walked around the property trying to decide where to relocate a few saplings. Our granddaughter Izzi and her friend Hailey had planned on helping me seal the fish pond, but with rain predicted for tomorrow, the five days of sunshine necessary for curing ruled that out. Enter Plan B.

One of my summer projects is tiling the backsplash in the kitchen, and today was a perfect day for it. I love working with tile! Right now, half of it is on the wall, waiting for grout. I never thought of myself as OCD, but once I get started on a project like this, it's hard for me to stop. It makes the project go faster, but other things tend to get put on the back burner. My bass sits in the corner waiting for me to stroke the strings. Sometimes I wish I could lay the work aside, but as a boy, my father drilled into me that you don't play till the work is done. So tonight I am thankful for the work ethic I learned as a boy. At times, it's inconvenient, but it helps me get things done. In a couple days, I should have the pond sealed, the backsplash finished, and most of my big summer projects done. It's been a pretty good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment