Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Finished

July 19, 2016

"It is finished!" was the exultant cry of Jesus as he breathed his last on the cross, paying in full the penalty for our sin. There was nothing more to add; it was done, accomplished. According to the Creed, there was still the descent into hell, his resurrection and ascension, but the difficult work was over, our debt had been paid. I cannot imagine what that must have been like for Jesus; the cross was worse than what most people ever have to endure in this life, and to be on the other side of it must have been wonderful.

What I can imagine is the satisfaction of finishing a job. If it feels so good to finish my small task, how much more it must have been for Jesus to finish his. My little job was the tile backsplash for Linda's kitchen; a minuscule performance in God's great scheme of things. Nevertheless, it is God's way to use the little things of this life to point us to the greater matters of salvation. My job was small, but in it I see hints of the greatness of God's finished work in Christ and am grateful for grace that enables me to see the eternal in the temporal.

No comments:

Post a Comment