Friday, July 15, 2016

Bad Day, Good Day

July 15, 2016

It's been a bad day. It's been a good day. Let me explain. John Wesley (17013-1791), the founder of Methodism was once robbed. He commented on the incident, saying (not an exact quote), "I thank God that while he took my purse, there wasn't much in it, and that though he took my purse, he didn't take my life, and that it was I who was robbed and not I who did the robbing."

It's been a bad day. I lost a $1,500 hearing aid. Don't ask me how; if I knew, I'd have it back. Lord knows, I looked. Then as I was getting off my bike, I did what I always do, taking off my glasses so I can get my helmet off. I set them on the bike seat, and the wind immediately gusted, blowing them to the ground and putting a big scratch on one of the lenses. Those glasses are only two weeks old! Yes, it's been a bad day.

But it's also been a good day. Although I won't like having to shell out the money for a new hearing aid, I have the resources to do it. I am praying for people who are facing life-threatening diseases, for others caught in the throes of grief, and still others whose lives are spinning out of control in the absence of a supporting faith in Christ. Children are growing up in deplorable conditions, babies are born addicted to crack, young boys and girls are bought and sold as commodities for someone's sick pleasure. And while we are still in shock over the recent shootings in our country, France once again reels before the murderous and demonic rage of radical Islam.

Am I happy to have lost my hearing aid? Of course not! But I am deeply grateful that the worst thing that happened to me today would be something for which countless people would trade places tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment