Monday, June 6, 2016

46 Years

June 6, 2016

On this day forty six years ago, Linda and I were married in a simple Christian ceremony in the Weidler Memorial Evangelical United Brethren church. Our reception was even simpler: homemade tea sandwiches, peanuts, mints, and punch. No band, no DJ, no dancing. We opened a few gifts then left for home, the Alma parsonage. It was an evening candlelight service, and we were home by 11:00.

Some years ago, I officiated at a wedding that almost outlasted the marriage. I had done all the counseling and never saw it coming. They honeymooned in Arizona, from whence she didn't come back until after the divorce. Made me lose faith in my premarital counseling ability.

Forty six years with me is proof positive that Linda is a patient and forgiving woman. She's stood by me through flood (literally) and drought (figuratively), through fire and storm. Love like that doesn't come along every day. We used to try to imagine what our lives would be like years in the future, an exercise in futility if there ever was one! It is different than what we imagined, and better than we had dreamed. I am a better man because of her, and very grateful tonight to have spent the past forty six years with her by my side.

No comments:

Post a Comment