Friday, April 29, 2016

What a Woman!

April 29, 2016

In case anyone hasn't heard, my wife is one of a kind...in a good way. There are times (quite frequently, if you were to ask her) that I just about drive her crazy with my antics, and yet she (quite frequently, if you were to ask me) takes a deep breath and lets me go ahead with my antics even when she doesn't understand my reasoning or go along with my shenanigans.

Just a couple weeks ago, I missed out on two different upright basses, both of which were great deals. I had the deals arranged, but the sellers reneged and I was left with nothing. I kept searching, and made tentative arrangements on two different instruments, my reasoning being that I didn't want to get caught the way I had before. Wouldn't you know that both parties agreed to my offers! So now I have two basses, a vintage and a more recent production.

When I first began talking about basses, Linda wasn't too thrilled with the idea. To put it mildly. After all, it's not like we have a lot of extra room in our house. Where would I keep this monster?If we were still in our Cassadaga house, there would be enough room to store an entire orchestra, but not here. The deal was, I could get a bass when I built on a new master bedroom suite on the back of the house. If you walk around our house, you would immediately notice that the only thing out back is grass. I asked Linda if she objected to my closing the deal on both instruments, with the understanding that after comparing them for sound and playability, I would sell one. I even told her that if she did object, I wouldn't even consider the second prospective deal. And I mean it. Our relationship means more to me than any instrument, or anything else, for that matter. She didn't object, so I am starting to draw up room plans in my head.

I don't know if 46 years of marriage has softened her brain or what, but even when she thinks I am a bit nuts, she lets me follow my crazy dreams. My only hope in all this is that she knows there is nothing I wouldn't do for her, either. Even if it doesn't make sense to me. The only problem with that reasoning, is that she doesn't often do things that don't make sense. Except for loving me. And that is what I am thankful for tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment