Thursday, April 7, 2016

Giving and Receiving

April 7, 2016

It's really quite simple, although as a child I wouldn't have seen it. The day was full, starting with a visit with an inmate at the county jail followed by conversation and scones for a woman in the congregation who broke her ankle. A couple hours at home practicing my bass and reading preceded heading out for my upright bass lesson, accompanied by scones for Max. When I got home, I spent some time on the phone with a dear friend going through the throes of chemotherapy with the isolation required as it draws down his white blood count. It doesn't sound like much, but those few visits filled the day, and as I reflect on it, I had the privilege of being on the giving side of the equation. That's what I missed as a child. I always thought it was much better to receive, but when it comes to life, being able to give is always better. Much better. Jesus said it simply, "It is better to give than to receive." He was right. My day was filled not just with activity, but with people; and I've been blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment