Friday, April 22, 2016

Spur of the moment friends are the best kind. As Harry and I exited his car for band practice, the aroma of Ciabetta's chicken barbecue wafted through the air. We had to pass right by the pit to get our coffee, and I could hear those chickens calling my name. The Fredonia senior class was having a fund raiser for their senior gift, and I knew just the people to help them out. Linda had been wondering what we might do tonight; we had gone out to dinner last night prior to Abi's induction into the National Honor Society, so going out again wasn't really on our radar, BUT when I ran the idea past Harry, he did absolutely nothing to talk me out of it. It's a good thing I'm not in AA with him as my accountability partner!

I called Linda to tell her not to fix supper and had her call Beth with the same news for the Loomises. After band, we picked up our dinners and headed for Harry's home. Linda met us there, we had dinner, and I had a ride home. None of this had been planned, but that's the kind of friends we have - always ready for some time together. I'm sure it didn't hurt that neither of our wives had to cook supper.

I know people who would be frantic over such spur of the moment stuff. Some are always too busy (I've been there a few times!), and others are simply too rigid for on the spot adventures. One of the best blessings of long time friendships is that level of comfort that lets us drop in on each other for an enjoyable evening of food and conversation. I pity those who have never had opportunities like ours, or who never took the time and made the effort to build such friendships. This one is priceless, and tonight while my belly is full of chicken, my heart is full of gratitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment