Thursday, November 5, 2015

The Kingdom of God

November 5, 2015

Reminder to self: Don't forget to share the other motorcycle stories from Alma. In the meantime, something more important occupies my mind tonight. Jesus said we must become like little children if we are to see the kingdom of God. We often quote this text without really understanding what it means. We speak of simple childlike faith, but I don't think this is what Jesus had in mind. And it certainly wasn't how children behave. Like the adults they become, children can be rude, cruel, vindictive, and selfish. Their infant innocence fades pretty quickly as they have to be taught to be kind, to care for others as they do for themselves. I've said it before: It's a good thing those little bundles of joy are so cute; otherwise we wouldn't tolerate their demanding, selfish ways. If everything doesn't suit their pleasure, they cry. They get us up at night (Who was it who had such a lapse of sanity that they talked about "sleeping like a baby?" At 66 years, that's what I'm doing, and I don't like it one bit. Like a newborn, I'm waking up three or four times a night to go to the bathroom-not the restful slumber we imagine when we use that phrase. At least I'm not back to wearing diapers!)

When Jesus spoke of becoming like little children, I think he was thinking of their ability to find joy at every turn. Unless a child is victim of abuse, they have an innate ability to find joy in just about everything. A two-year old is able to amuse herself with dragging pots and pans out of the cupboard and banging on them. The bodily pleasure of being tickled or cuddled is relished, and kinetic play is their stock in trade. Somewhere along the way, this delight in life itself fades with the awareness of responsibility and/or sin, and the slow regression into ennui often results. I've often been amazed at the transformation that takes place in a child between pre-school and middle school. The adventurous excitement of going to school often quickly yields to a boredom or even distaste for learning. What is it we are doing to our children that has sucked the wonder of life from their souls?

For years, I had lost that joy and wonder. It took a deliberate decision and daily determination to recapture it. My daily discipline of gratitude has brought a return of that joy, which I have come to believe is a foundational component of God's Kingdom. Today I had the pleasure of accompanying my wife, daughter, and granddaughter to a huge Christmas craft show in Hamburg, NY. I am not a big fan of "craft" stuff. Much of it is nice stuff, but I don't need any more stuff. The show itself-I could take it or leave it, but spending the time with three women I love is always a joy, although I have to admit I lost track of them a few times.  When we got home, little Gemma wanted to come to our house, so she did. She jumped on the trampoline while I blew leaves out of the yard. As I neared the trampoline, she confided to Linda that she just knew I was making a pile for her to jump in, which I did, to our mutual joy. I am grateful tonight for that childlike joy that reminds me of who I am and what I have in Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment