Thursday, November 12, 2015

Step by Step

November 12, 2015

A couple days ago I wrote of some of the dry times I've gone through, and of the one I seem to be in at the moment. This evening I drove downtown to attend the Trinity Guitar Backroom Radio Hour. For those who aren't familiar with it, this is a local venue, a monthly live radio program featuring local artists. It's not a large event; after all, it's held in the workshop of Trinity Guitars, which in a former life was a single car garage. The place was packed, and as always, a local charity was highlighted; this time our local Habitat for Humanity. At the close of the program, host Bill Ward spoke briefly about this being a difficult week for having lost a friend and mentor in the music world, Chuck Pyle. He talked of Chuck's easy way and homespun manner, then closed the program with one of Chuck's songs, perhaps one of the best known of his entire repertoire. It's called "Step By Step," the chorus of which goes, "Step by step, side by side; Hand in hand this old world's a better ride. Step by step, side by side; take a little step with your neighbor side by side."

As I drove home, it dawned on me why I've been in this dry time. Electioneering is on the rise again, with presidential hopefuls telling us all why the other guy (or gal) is unfit for office. I've made the mistake of listening to all this negativity. I should know better. Three years ago it was the negativity of the presidential elections that opened my eyes to my need to make some changes. I began ignoring all that stuff and began focusing on the small matters of life where there was still plenty of goodness and blessings if I would only stop and look. Doing that for three years turned around a lifetime of melancholy, but I slowly and almost imperceptibly began to get sucked into all the election stuff once more. Reflecting on this little song telling about how we need each other and how by doing what we can we actually make a difference helped me see where I had gotten off track. Sure, there's plenty of evil and rottenness in this world. It doesn't take any intelligence or wisdom to see that. But looking for and seeing the good requires faith and determination to look deeper and beyond, to where joy is found. It's amazing how God shows up when and where we least expect him. He tapped me on the shoulder through a simple song that reminded me to pay attention to the good and give the rest...a rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment