Sunday, November 8, 2015

Called, not Volunteered

November 8, 2015

Finally...I'm home again, after being gone since 7:00 am. It was after 7:00 pm when I arrived, and now I'm about ready for bed. Helping the worship team with vocal harmonies is something I love doing, which must be evident; I received more compliments on my singing than I've ever received on my bass playing, which I equally love to do. Neither is done for compliment's sake however. Since retiring, instead of making the decisions, I just do what I'm asked to do, if I'm able to do it. I firmly believe that is the Biblical model, and since I once preached it, it's now up to me to practice it.

In the church, we are quite fond of calling for volunteers for whatever needs to be done, but I believe that is a grave mistake. People volunteer for all sorts of reasons, some quite altruistic, and others not. A volunteer may be good at what they do, but if the volunteer's motives stem from pride, attention-seeking, or a neurotic need to be at the center of what's happening, things can get quite messy quite quickly. Operating on a volunteer basis can get a church into deep trouble. I can't find a single instance in the Gospels where Jesus asked for volunteers. He was the leader, and spent much time in prayer before choosing who his disciples would be. The ones he decided upon probably wouldn't have volunteered, especially after meeting some of their soon-to-be compatriots. Zealots and tax collectors weren't exactly on the best of terms. Even after his death and resurrection, he chose Saul to be the apostle to the Gentiles.

I almost never volunteer, except to tell those in authority over me that I am available to serve in whatever capacity they believe I might help. Rarely, I decline the call, if I am already overbooked, but otherwise believe I have the obligation to seriously consider the call. I've told pastor Joe I will not engage in any kind of ministry that might be considered even remotely pastoral without his permission or initiative, but that I am available for whatever he wants me to do. It is his job as pastor just as it was mine, to prayerfully discern God's vision for Park church, then to determine with the rest of the leadership what is needed to fulfill the vision, but then it is his responsibility alone to listen to God's voice and call the people to the work God has for them to do. Leading in this way avoids the pitfalls of volunteerism, but runs the risk of cronyism and overlooking skills and heart for ministry in people he doesn't yet know well. That's why every pastor needs quality people around him who can extend his insight.

Today I was given the privilege of serving our district superintendent. She had called me to do a job for which she needed the help of the Elders of the connection. I said 'yes' because it's what we do to be faithful to our Lord. It made for a long day when added to other Sunday responsibilities, but responding to God's call is a holy matter, not to be treated in a cavalier manner. The job wasn't difficult, just necessary, and I am thankful to be able to serve, and grateful for all those who in the years I was in active ministry responded in the affirmative to God's call upon their lives when they heard it from my lips.

No comments:

Post a Comment