Sunday, October 18, 2015

Rebellion Against the Status Quo

October 17, 2015

For over a year we prayed for them, and God heard our prayers. A young couple from our church seemed unable to conceive, so in addition to the medical help they sought, they came every Sunday to the altar for prayer. Week after week, people prayed with them, laid hands on them, and believed that God would override the pessimistic prognostications of the doctors. And on November 12, 2007, they welcomed twin baby girls into the world. We rejoiced with them, and have watched these girls grow, and eventually welcome a little brother into their home.

Yesterday the husband was diagnosed with a brain tumor. I wondered if they would be here today, but that shouldn't have even entered my mind. They trust in Christ and believe in the power of prayer, so I really wasn't surprised when I saw them walk in, three kids in tow, and take their usual place in the sanctuary. After pastor Joe finished preaching and it was time for communion, they came forward and remained for prayer. Pastor Roy and Val prayed with them, but it wasn't long before they were joined by pastor Joe, and soon two thirds of the congregation was gathered around, with hardly a dry eye in the place. The only ones left in their seats were a few of our newer folks who didn't know them and wouldn't have heard of their plight.

I wish I knew God's ways better than I do. I don't understand why these little girls whom we literally prayed into existence should have to watch their daddy go through the tests and treatments, why they should be faced with the fears and questions that always arise in situations like this; why their parents should have to face the uncertainty that is an inevitable companion to the diagnosis they've received. After the prayers were finished and the service concluded, people still gathered around to listen, love, and offer their prayers. I talked with them as they were leaving the sanctuary. "I don't know what God is doing in all this, but I remember how we prayed your girls into life, and know that the God who answered our prayers then is the same God to whom we offer our prayers today."

The uncertainty is still there. Prayer is not magic, and it's not a matter of getting the words just right, or the fervency of our petitions. Someone once said prayer is essentially a rebellion against the status quo, and as such, I rebel with all my heart. But it is also a matter of aligning our will with the purposes of God and leaning into his heart. It's not easy discerning God's purposes in situations like this, but it was easy to see his heart as his people gathered around, letting this family know that they are loved. It was a difficult, but holy moment, but I confess, I'm praying for and looking forward to that other holy moment when we can praise God for the victory he has won.

No comments:

Post a Comment