Thursday, October 8, 2015

Anticipation

October 8, 2015

A good friend from Canada sent me a music video that pretty much sums up what I like about Western New York winters. It's all about the childhood experience of tobogganing. At one point the artist sings about tobogganing off a roof. I've never done that, but I did snowboard off one once at midnight. I was at Watson Homestead for a Board of Ordained Ministry retreat that happened to coincide with a blizzard. I had to wait till all the brass were in bed, but I did have a couple witnesses, just for the record. That's all beside the point, however.

It has not escaped my awareness that some of my friends are not too happy at the thought of winter's advent, but I am looking forward to it. My major good weather projects are almost done, we have October's crisp air and bright colors to lead us into November with the anticipation of Thanksgiving, Advent, and Christmas. And snow. I actually love the snow, even though I cannot get excited about snowmobiling and have nothing but bad (or funny, depending on how you look at them) memories about downhill skiing. But I love plowing the snow, cross-country skiing, sitting by the fire watching the cardinals at our feeder, a hot cup of coffee at hand and a book in my lap.

Right now, it's the anticipation for which I'm grateful. Sadly, there are countless people in this world whose anticipation of the future is filled with fear and uncertainty. This evening I watched a couple videos about the Syrian refugees desperately risking open seas in flimsy boats just to escape the fighting and destruction in their homeland. If they make the crossing, it is with only the clothes on their backs and a long and uncertain trek ahead of them. Anticipation is not a happy word for them. Why we should be so blessed I cannot fathom, but I know what these blessings mean. The Bible is clear: "To whom much is given, much shall be required." Being able to anticipate winter with joy is a far cry from what these folks are experiencing tonight, and I am not given the freedom to simply ignore their plight. As far as humanly possible, I am prepared for winter. Now it is humanely possible for me to dig deep and do what I can to help. If I cannot go, I can give, and give I will, with deep gratitude for my experience of the truth of Jesus' words, "It is more blessed to give than to receive."

No comments:

Post a Comment