Sunday, October 4, 2015

Introverted Together

October 5, 2015

I'm really not antisocial; I'm just not pro-social. I introduce myself to new people at church because they need to be welcomed, but I had to train myself to do it. It doesn't come naturally, is not my spiritual gift. Which leads me to observe that while spiritual giftedness is great for discerning one's calling, it cannot become an excuse for not doing what God expects of all his children: kindness, service, and availability. I may not have the spiritual gift of evangelism, but that doesn't exonerate me from the command to bear witness to the grace of God in Jesus Christ. Even if I am a natural born introvert.

You might think that an organized bike ride would be just the ticket for an introvert, but you would be wrong. Today's ride was great; the weather cooperated, we went on roads I'd never before seen, our lead rider didn't let himself go so fast the others had to speed to keep up. Riding a motorcycle is a solitary sport, much like swimming. In swimming, you can be on a team, but most events are solo by nature, even the relays. When you're in the water, it's you, the water, the lane markers, and the ends of the pool. You must be aware of the swimmer in the next lane, but the water isolates you. Riding a motorcycle is much the same. Fellow riders may be strung out in a line before and behind you, but unless you have a helmet intercom, you are by yourself. Until you stop for gas or food. Then the conversation begins in earnest.

Today we rode, stopping only for a single conversation and butt rest break, and for gas. Most of the crew headed for a restaurant at the end of the ride, but I had a commitment back home that precluded any eats and fellowship. I learned something, for which I am grateful tonight. Though I am a committed introvert, the ride would have been much more meaningful to me had I been able to sit down with my friends and share a meal. Even solo activities can be more fun with friends. God wired us to need each other. Even those like myself. So, next time pastor Joe arranges a ride, I'll do my best to make sure I can take it all in. Life, and rides, are better with friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment