Sunday, October 9, 2022

Stress

October 9, 2022

We live in an anxiety-laden world. The demand for pharmaceuticals, anti-depressants, and the trafficking of illegal drugs is at an all-time high as young and old are finding life too busy, too complicated, and too stressful to cope. I think I can understand.


My life is relatively calm and stress-free. I don’t live in constant fear of violence, have pretty good health, and am surrounded by family and friends who genuinely care for one another. Our finances are as secure as can be expected in a volatile market. We aren’t worried about where our next meal is coming from, or if we can afford it. Our home is comfortable and life is good.


There was a time when the stresses of pastoral work were very much present, but those days are behind me, for which I am very thankful. I told Pastor Joe the other day how grateful I am for his leadership through the Covid pandemic and now the process of disaffiliation from the United Methodist Church, neither of which I would have handled with as much finesse, grace, and patience as he has shown. That being said…


I am in the midst of preparations for a Koinonia weekend, and just learned today of a few details I hadn’t known before; some things for which I am responsible. I thought I had everything sewed up, but apparently there were a few threads I hadn’t counted on. On top of that are arranging all the flight and visa details for our upcoming trip to Cuba. In the past, others more experienced than I took care of the details, but I’m on my own now, and if I mess it up, a lot of plans and a fair amount of money is down the drain. Foreign travel can be stressful; it’s even more so when we’re going to a place like Cuba. 


There are a few other small matters that are occupying my mind, but I realize how small are my problems compared with most. So I am not surprised at how people struggle with stress. If I allow myself, my mind can be like a hamster’s treadmill, spinning faster and faster till I lose my footing and get spun out of control. It is the Word of God and the power of centering prayer that keeps my feet on the ground. I am so grateful that even if everything gets topsy-turvy, Jesus Christ is still my Lord and Savior, and has promised to walk with me through thick and thin. When I turn my attentions to him, the stress melts away in his presence. Life doesn’t get much better than that!


Whether your stressors are small or great, Jesus’ words are as true for you as they are for me: “Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”” —Matthew 11:28-30 


No comments:

Post a Comment