Sunday, October 16, 2022

Behind the Smile

 October 16, 2022

Sometimes my brain and body are too tired to write anything coherent or meaningful. Tonight is such a night. Just a couple hours ago I got home from 48 hours of a men’s spiritual retreat that kept us going constantly, with only about six hours’ sleep Friday and Saturday nights. Our time together consisted of listening to and delivering talks on a variety of subjects and Scriptural texts. As spiritual director, I myself had eight such talks, but it’s just as hard sitting and listening, and then late at night, counseling and praying with those struggling with life issues.


Sometimes we tend to forget that everyone has issues, but when you listen to men speak honestly about their lives, it reminds me to be careful with people I meet daily. We never know what heartache is hiding behind a smile. So tonight as I lay my head on my pillow, I thank God for all he has spared me from, and offer my prayers for those whose life path has taken them on much rockier and steeper roads than I have trod. And tomorrow, I’ll pay a little closer attention to those I meet, and even if I don’t have occasion to speak with them, I’ll offer a prayer of blessing and peace for their sake.


No comments:

Post a Comment