Monday, April 25, 2022

Timidity

 April 25, 2022

Most people when they reach a certain age look back with a twinge of regret over opportunities missed, weaknesses that took years to overcome, physical, emotional, or intellectual challenges that refused to yield to our efforts to overcome. We read Paul’s words in 2 Corinthians 12:9-10 with more than a little skepticism: “I will boast in my infirmities…for when I am weak, then I am strong.” How can this possibly be?


Perhaps it would help if we didn’t take everything so personally. Strength in weakness sounds oxymoronic if it only applies to me personally. But when we bring other people into the equation, it starts to make sense. 


I’ve been reading Paul’s letters to Timothy, his young protégé. I get the impression that Timothy was a bit timid, perhaps shy and introverted. Four times in his second letter to this young man, Paul speaks of being ashamed. In 1:8, he encourages Timothy to not be ashamed of Paul being imprisoned for the Gospel, and later in v. 16, he commends Onesiphorus for not being ashamed of Paul’s chains. In 1:12, he declares that he is not ashamed of the Gospel. Later in the second chapter, Paul tells Timothy to work hard so as not to be ashamed (2:15). 


So how does weakness become strength? Had Timothy not had this problem, we would never have read Paul’s stirring words, “I am not ashamed, for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I’ve committed unto him against that day.” It was Timothy’s weakness, his timidity, that provided the occasion for many to be encouraged to be bold in our faith. 


I identify with Timothy. I confess that for years I hid my faith from others. I was fine in religious settings, but in the marketplace, the mix of people who don’t share my perspective, I was timid. It’s taken many years, but the older I get, the bolder I get. Because of this timid young man over 2,000 years ago, Paul’s word to Timothy has been percolating inside me for years, and is bearing fruit. Weakness has become strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment