Tuesday, April 26, 2022

“Name, Please!”

 April 26, 2022

Years ago when we used to vacation with our children in Canada, Nate and Deb would often have our two eldest granddaughters ride with us for the trip north. They would dutifully make copies of the girls’ birth certificates along with letters for the border crossing certifying that they were allowed to ride with us. We coached the girls on what to say if they were asked questions, and rehearsed our own answers to whatever we might be asked. 


On this particular trip, we pulled up to the border guard, handed him our passports and the girls’ documentation. He looked everything over and asked the girls’ names, a question I hadn’t expected. My mind went totally blank. I couldn’t remember the names of my granddaughters who were riding in the back seat of our car! Linda frantically leaned over and said, “Alex and Abi! Their parents are in the car just ahead of us. We’re their grandparents!” 


My mind immediately went into overdrive. I could envision spending the night in a Canadian jail. The border guard got out of his booth, leaned his head in the window and spoke to the girls. “Do you feel safe with these people?” Fortunately, they weren’t old enough for the Bailey sarcasm to have set in, and they didn’t respond with screams of terror. We breathed a sigh of relief when the border guard let us through.


We’ve laughed about that incident many times since, but there is something to be learned from it. Some day, we all will stand at the border. We may have rehearsed what we will answer when questioned by God, and think we have it all down pat. He isn’t going to ask the names of our grandchildren or our grandparents. He won’t ask how many rich or famous people we know. There is only one name that will be on his lips: “Do you know my Son Jesus?” 


Rehearsed speeches will disappear, documentation of church offices held, services attended, deeds of charity done will all turn to dust. One question alone will matter: “Do you know my Son Jesus? I gave him to you so you could stand at this moment, confident in the forgiveness and salvation he suffered to provide. Do you know my Son Jesus?” 


Stuttering and stammering won’t get us across that border. Only one answer will suffice: “He is my Savior and Lord!” I hope tonight he is yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment