Tuesday, April 19, 2022

A Merry Heart

 April 19, 2022

“A merry heart doeth good, like medicine.” —Proverbs 17:22


This past week has been a roller-coaster ride as we received news of our son’s brain tumors. When I arrived at the hospital last Thursday evening, I had no idea what I would be seeing, so seeing him encouraging his nurse and praying for her was a relief I hadn’t expected. Friday he came home, and Sunday, he addressed both services at church. “I didn’t expect to be here this morning,” he said, and although it wasn’t in his normal capacity as worship leader, he was grateful to be there, adding that he hadn’t realized how much of life we take for granted.


People keep asking how we are doing; how he is doing, and the answer is, I think he is doing much better than we. Case in point: his sense of humor hasn’t been affected by the tumors. Saturday, he and Debbra hosted their annual Easter egg hunt, as they have done for years. Later in the day, the family gathers again to color eggs. It’s interesting watching high school and college age kids coloring eggs like they were kindergartners. 


Nate has a niece who hates to be hugged, so he approached her, arms open wide. When she balked, he pointed to his head and said, “Brain tumor!” He’s decided to milk it for all it’s worth. Yesterday, I stopped over to give him a phone number. He was out walking in his backyard, phone to his ear. After waiting for about ten minutes, I went into his barn, got a shovel, and started picking up dog poop. He talked for another ten minutes, finally edging close as I scooped up another pile. “If I keep pretending someone’s on the other end long enough, you’ll have the whole yard done,” he whispered as he walked by.


He could be angry, heartbroken, or sad, but he told me, “I’m almost giddy about the opportunities this is giving me to speak of Christ.” He understands the challenges yet to be faced, but sees even more the wider ministry this offers. And through it all, his merry heart will be a big part of his healing process. 


So, don’t expect a long face and woe-is-me eyes. His heart is too full of Christ for that; the same Christ who “for the joy that was set before him, endured the cross.”


No comments:

Post a Comment