Wednesday, January 26, 2022

Crucified

 January 26, 2022

I’ve often wondered about St. Paul’s strident declaration in 1 Corinthians that “the message of the Cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved, it is the power of God” (1:18). When I look around and see the condition of the world, and even more, the condition of the Church and many of God’s people, including myself, I wonder what kind of power this is. Sure, a lot of good things have happened in the name of Christ, but the world still goes on its destructive and wicked ways. Christians still struggle with jealousy, anger, violence, lust, and greed. I’ve often asked the question, “Where is the power?”


The answer in part, is found in Paul’s letter to the Galatians where he says, “I have been crucified with Christ” (2:20). It isn’t only the physical crucifixion of Christ that Paul has in mind when he speaks of its power; it is that the cross cuts across my self-will. The wisdom of God is that it’s not through human striving (““Not by might, nor by strength, but by My Spirit,” says the Lord”” comes to mind), but through the negation of human willfulness that transformation happens. 


Left to myself, I would continue to exalt myself, insist on my own way, trample over or ignore others, allow lust, greed, and violence to govern my actions. In the end, such a life ends up lonely, embittered, and miserable, a shadow of the glory of humanity, barely recognizable as having been made in God’s image.


Apart from the Cross, I would give undue attention to the nightly negative news, give way to stinking thinking, become critical, cynical, and depressed. The message of the Cross is not only that Christ was crucified in our place, but that in the cross, Christ demonstrated a different way to victory; that the humble giving of oneself has power beyond our understanding to transform human life.


I can believe that message, receive and auto on it, or I can reject it. When I believe it and allow it to take root in me, that which seemed foolish proves to be wisdom beyond measure. I am given back my life in ways far better than before I shouldered that cross myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment