Thursday, August 26, 2021

Being Still

 August 26, 2021

Psalm 46 is often included in funeral liturgies, beginning with the words, “God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.” Quite fitting for a funeral, but also for the troublesome times in which we live. Our present administration appears weak and dithering in the face of a ruthless and implacable foe whom we recently equipped with state of the art weaponry. In times like these, it’s easy to forget that our God is a PRESENT help, not just remembered for what he did in the past, or what we hope he will do in the future. Surely it’s becoming clear that we aren’t going to be saved by politicians. God is our present and only hope! 


In the eighth verse, we are commanded to behold the works of the LORD. I used to read verses like this as mere statements of encouragement, suggestions, if you will. No more. This is more than an invitation; it is a command to shift our attention from the troubles of this world to the God who “makes wars to cease, breaks bow and spear, and burns chariots (the ancient equivalent of tanks).


Only when I focus on God can I settle down and be still enough to actually get to know him as it says in v. 10 (“Be still, and know that I am God.”). As long as I dwell upon the troubles and depend upon the weaponry, God’s peace and glory will elude me. V. 2 describes the fearfulness of the situations in which we are commanded not to fear because God in our midst still reigns. I am struck by the faith of many Afghan Christians who fully expect to die, and are not afraid. In fact, they welcome martyrdom because this world holds no attraction for them. Tonight, if they can go to sleep without fear, I can surely lay my head down in peace.


No comments:

Post a Comment