Friday, July 9, 2021

For Good

 July 9, 2021

Tonight I am thankful to know God works all things for good to those who love him and are called according to his purpose (Romans 8:28). Linda and I have started looking to replace our Ford Fusion. It still runs well, but we want to be ahead of the game, so we’ve begun looking before something goes wrong with it. We don’t want to be in a position of having to do something quickly. So I started by looking online, and in so doing, found a car we wanted to look at. I filled in the online form, and within an hour, got a call from the dealership which shall remain unnamed for reasons that will become obvious.


Last night we made an appointment to see the car today at 1:30. We had planned to be in Buffalo for a funeral, so it made sense to set the appointment for today. We drove up, attended the funeral, then drove over to the dealership, only to be told the car had sold and they didn’t have another like it available. I was disappointed that they didn’t have the integrity to keep their word, and have let them know as much. Once upon a time, I would have been angry, and have fumed and fretted over it for days. With age has come at least a modicum of wisdom and grace; I’m still disappointed that they sold the car without even calling us to let us know, but I am also convinced God is in control. If not this car, another will turn up. Allowing myself to get all agitated won’t change anything except my attitude and peace of mind. It’s just not worth it. 


I am thankful tonight that I learned that lesson back when missing out on the deal I had anticipated had greater consequences than it does today. God truly does work all things for good to those who love him. Contrary to what some people have a habit of saying, all things are not good, but God can bring good out of all things—a big and important difference. He is at work in this, too, and it will be interesting to see what he makes of it. Stay tuned; a good lesson in God’s faithfulness is just around the corner!


No comments:

Post a Comment