Thursday, July 22, 2021

Credo

 July 22, 2021


Every Sunday as we begin worship, we are invited to recite the Apostles’ Creed, an ancient declaration of the essence of our Christian faith. It is not as comprehensive as the Nicene Creed which deals more completely with the nature of Jesus Christ, but it is more easily memorized, and really does cover most of the bases. It is Trinitarian, divided into three sections; “I believe in…the Father…Jesus Christ the Son…and the Holy Spirit. Each section expands upon what it means to believe in that Person of the Holy Trinity.


It begins quite simply: “Credo.” The single Latin word states, “I believe.” I am thankful it begins this way. It doesn’t say, “I know,” or “I feel;” it says, “I believe.” Many a Sunday rolls around when I don’t feel very spiritual. God seems far away, and my heart feels dull and unresponsive. If the Creed began with “I feel,” it would be a rare Sunday when I would be able to utter those words with integrity and conviction. There are Sundays when I am puzzling over some life issue, and if we had to recite the words, “I know,” I would stand silently. The older I get, the less I am eager to enthusiastically proclaim what I know. I’ve been presented with contradictory information that has forced me to re-evaluate what I know. 


The Creed says, “I believe.” Sometimes falteringly, sometimes confidently, but always joyfully. No matter what my state of mind or soul, I can repeat these words and know they ground me in a reality bigger and more real than whatever I’m experiencing in life. “I believe” roots me in the Triune God of the Christian faith; Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, and standing in this historical faith, I can get my bearings for life. 


I believe…I place my trust in God—Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, and in that faith I have been able to meet every challenge life throws at me, and in that faith, I’ve watched people with grace and integrity endure far greater trials than I have faced. Powerful words, these: “I believe.”


No comments:

Post a Comment