Monday, July 26, 2021

Fishing

 July 26, 2021

Yesterday’s sermon text was from Matthew 4:18-22 where Jesus calls Peter, James, and John. “Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men,” he said. Immediately, they left everything and began following. Jesus’ statement and its implication is clear: “If you follow, I will…” It follows that the reverse is also true: If I’m not fishing, I’m not following. It’s a lot easier talking about fishing than actually doing it. If one reads enough books, watches enough youtube videos, talks with enough real fishermen, it would be possible to wax eloquent about the virtues and techniques of fishing, but until he drops a line in the water, he can’t be called a fisherman. 


Throwing a perfect cast doesn’t cut it, either. That can be done in your backyard. A true fisherman studies the fish, knows what they’re biting on, knows the time of day, the best weather, whether to go deep or shallow, close to shore, or out in the deep. A real fisherman knows what it’s like to be sunburned and eaten by mosquitos and black flies. 


Too many Christians, myself included, are content to throw a line in the bathtub. We spend all our time with the fish Jesus has already caught. We don’t know the fish, we don’t know where the good fishing holes are, we don’t know when is the best time to go fishing. Truth be told, we’re afraid to fish. Some fish have sharp teeth; we could get bitten. We have to go to where they are, not where we wish they would be. We must be willing to be uncomfortable if we’re going to fish for men. 


I’ve never been much of a fisherman. We went a lot when I was a kid, but it never took with me like it did for my brother. I have some gear, but that doesn’t make me a fisherman. And having a Bible doesn’t make me a fisher for men. 


Yesterday’s sermon was convicting for me. Every so often, God slaps me up alongside the head. He did it yesterday. I’m thankful he keeps doing it. It means he hasn’t given up on me. But it also means I can’t give up on anyone else. So…people are still in season, so it’s time to go fishing!


No comments:

Post a Comment