Friday, July 16, 2021

Bishop Joe

 July 16, 2021

On July 4, 2021, the earthly United Methodist Church lost a great man while the triumphant and universal Church of Jesus Christ gained a new saint in bishop Joseph Yeakel at 93 years of age. Anyone who knows me knows I am not one to extol the church hierarchy. In my 40+ years in United Methodism, I’ve seen my share of mediocre bishops. To be fair, I’ve had some good ones, too. Anonymity is probably best here. Some who have been less than stellar in my opinion may be considered the bees’ knees by others, which is fine by me. I know for a fact that while there are some who consider me to be a good pastor, there are others who would happily spit and dance on my grave. 


Joe Yeakel was the bishop who ordained me. I can still almost feel the weight of his hands on my head as he uttered those words, “Take thou authority…” He didn’t have a light touch; he leaned hard when ordaining, wanting us to feel the weight of responsibility that comes with the office. It was his personal touch however, that weighed most heavily upon me. I don’t know what are others’ experiences with their bishops, but when I was a seminary student in Chicago, he had a meeting with the Council of Bishops in that city. He carved time out of his schedule to take me to lunch, talk with me about my plans, and assure me he had a place for me in the Western New York Conference if I so desired. To a young seminarian just starting out, having this kind of confidence placed in me was almost electrifying. I didn’t have to wonder if I would have a job; only where. 


Bishop Yeakel preferred people to simply call him Joe. He made no pretense of his office, refusing the titles and honorific obeisance that often come when one has the word ‘bishop’ as a prefix to their name. He didn’t need such fluffy accolades; as a parliamentarian, he was without peer. I still remember a pastor speaking on the floor of annual conference, citing the Book of Discipline to make his point. When he had finished, bishop Joe cited the referenced page and politely but firmly stated his interpretation and ruling. He was occasionally challenged, but I cannot remember any of his decisions being overturned.


My favorite quote from him concerns his expectations of those with who he worked: “No secrets, no subversions, no surprises.” He expected of those around him the same integrity he brought to the table.


Last Monday night at men’s Bible study, pastor Joe spoke of mentoring; how important it is to have a mentor—someone a few steps ahead of you in your Christian walk; and to be a mentor to someone a few steps behind you. I am grateful tonight for the many mentors in my life, from childhood until today. Bishop Joe to me, was one of the best, and I am grateful for his ministry as I mourn his passing. “As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another,” says Proverbs 27:17. Bishop Joe sharpened me; I hope I can do the same for others.


No comments:

Post a Comment